Skip to content
Mastering Pain Management Skills: Safe Opioid Use Amid an Opioid Epidemic (1.2 contact hours)
- Discuss history of opioid prescribing that contributed to the current opioid epidemic
- Find an opioid equivalency dose using an opioid equivalency chart
- Calculate an appropriate breakthrough dose (BTD) for a patient on a long-acting opioid (LA)
- List 3 situations when an opioid rotation may be indicated
- Use the Pasero Opioid Sedation Scale (POSS)
- Name 2 safety strategies for seniors on opioids
Pain Management Basics: instruction for patients and family caregivers (1.2 contact hours)
- List 3 ways health literacy re. pain management improves patient outcomes
- Give an example of a comfort goal and a function goal
- Name 2 ways pain is classified.
- Explain how multimodal pain management is like baking a cake.
- List three things patients can do to help healthcare providers provide good pain management.
- Give 3 drug safety tips.
Introduction to Pain Management (1.2 contact hours)
- Define pain
- Identify the primary goal of pain management
- Differentiate between acute and chronic pain
- Discuss advantages of using the Clinically Aligned Pain Assessment (CAPA) vs. using a Numeric Pain Intensity scale
“Do-Re-Mi” Pain Management at End-of-Life: Starting at the Beginning (1.2 contact hours)
- Define Pain
- List Dame Cicely Saunders’ TOTAL PAIN domains
- Use the WILDA pain assessment tool
- Give an example of a “functional” goal.
- Identify the four steps in the Do-Re-Mi-(Fa) EOL pain management model.
- Name the two essential steps needed before the hospice team develops (makes) a multimodal pain management plan.
Advanced Pain Management (1.2 contact hours)
- Name three classes of pain medication
- Differentiate three types of opioid medications based on receptor interactions
- Define “adjuvant medication”
- Name five key principles of WHO method of pain relief
- State three principles of titrating up on pain medication
- Know when opioid rotation is needed
Methadone: Are You Prepared to Use It? (1.2 contact hours)
- Discuss the history of methadone & its approved indications for use.
- Identify barriers to the use of methadone for pain management
- Describe methadone’s 3 mechanisms of action leading to analgesia.
- List 3 unique properties of methadone.
- Use a conversion cart for rotating from morphine to methadone.
- Describe the pros and con of using another opioid for BTP
- Discuss 2 important nursing considerations when a patient uses methadone
Jeopardy: The Pain Game (1.2 contact hours)
- Define pain
- List the four basic processes of nociception
- Understand how different types of medications produce analgesia
- Identify who is a good or bad candidate for PCA pump
- List three common opioid side effect